There has been a sudden rise in obesity related issues across India. Lifestyle changes, sedentary work habits and lack of exercise have resulted in an overgrowing obese population. It has affected all age-groups starting from children as young as 12-15 years of age to elderly population of age 50-70 years. On top of this, obesity directly or indirectly influences the occurrences of various related diseases such as heart ailments, type-2 diabetes, blood pressure, hypertension, arthritis etc.
Over the years, the conventional methods for weight loss have been proved to be largely unsuccessful, especially for morbid and severely obese patients. Many factors can be attributed to this failure such as lack of motivation, lack of proper training, inconsistency, lack of proper knowledge etc. For obese people having a BMI 40-plus or having a combination of 30-plus BMI with associated diseases such as type-2 diabetes, conventional methods for weight loss are of no help. In such situations, Bariatric Surgery in India is becoming a real resort. It is quick, painless, scar less and with very less recovery time.
Health Benefits of Diabetic Surgery
Diabetic surgery, popularly known as bariatric surgery, is done by either reducing the size of the stomach or by minimizing the absorbing capacity of the intestines. Various scientific researchers have been conducted to highlight the health benefits of these surgeries.
- Weight reduction achieved through gastric reduction helps in improving longevity as well as minimizes the premature death rate drastically.
- Furthermore, hypertension is reduced in more than half of the patients post-surgery.
- Similarly, blood-fats and cholesterol measurements reduces dramatically after weight-loss surgeries.
- The biggest achievement from obesity surgery is for diabetic patients. Almost 80% of the diabetic patients recover from type-2 diabetes post- obesity surgery.
- Gastric bypass surgery has seen benefiting patients in conditions such as hyperglycemia, insulin resistance and hyper insulation.
- Almost 75% of patients see a good recovery from obstructive sleep-apnea post-surgery
- In 75-80% of cases issues like shortness in breadth, asthma attack and gastro-esophageal reflux are relieved.
- Weight loss surgeries also help in relieving arthritis, lower back pain, urinary incontinence, lower-limb venous disorders and heartburn.
Health Risks and choosing the right hospital
In general, the health risks associated with weight-loss surgeries is very less. In most of the cases obesity surgery in India is done through laparoscopic method which is a minimally invasive process of surgery.
The risk factors during obesity surgeries include mismanaged operation, patient condition before surgery and expertise of bariatric surgeon, anesthesiologist as well as the overall quality of the operation room and hospital services. The best way to minimize the risks due to the above issues is by researching and finding the most suitable surgery hospitals and centers with proper facilities and right expertise. Bariatric surgery in India has gain popularity thanks to the increasing availability of state-of-the-art health care facilities across metros as well as towns. Nurses and associate staff are getting certified so that they are able to provide better services. Additionally, almost all top hospitals across the nation are equipped with latest medical equipment for more in-depth understanding of symptoms and diseases and better treatment.